1. If everyone lied whenever it was convenient, then we could never trust anyone. This would mean that all our communication would break down. If it’s not acceptable for everyone to lie, then it’s not acceptable for you to lie. So, you shouldn’t lie.
True or False: The statement, “If it’s no ok for everyone to lie, then it’s not ok for you to lie” is two premises.
2. All politicians require lots of money to get elected. Very few people can afford to donate the amount of money needed. As a result, money from corporations and special interest groups is essential to getting elected. Therefore, politicians tend to care more about corporations and special interest groups than they do about people.
Which of the following is the conclusion of this argument?
3. Some apples are not bananas. Some bananas are things that are yellow. Therefore, some things that are yellow are not apples.
True or False: The statement, “Some bananas are things that are yellow,” is a premise.
4. World of Warcraft is the best game ever! It’s lots of fun and more people play it than any other game.
True or False: The statement, “It’s lots of fun,” is a premise.
5. Which of the following quotations represents an argument?
6. ‘Contrariwise,’ continued Tweedledee, ‘if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic.’
True or false: “if it were so, it would be” is a premise of the argument.
7. Guns aren’t necessary. Guns endanger people. They give people confidence which leads them to do dangerous things they wouldn’t otherwise do. They also make violence more lethal than it would be with other weapons.
True or False: “Guns endanger people,” is the conclusion of this argument.
8. God must exist for there can be no other explanation for the order and complexity of the world. Some say there is no proof, but to me the proof is all around us.
The conclusion of this argument is:
9. Don’t worry, when I come back from my trip we’ll be more in love than ever. After all, absence makes the heart grow fonder.
In this argument, the proverb, “absence makes the heart grow fonder,” serves as:
10. Football is the worst sport. It’s slow because of all the huddles, and for most positions size is more important than skill.
True or False: The second sentence above contains two premises.